Greenpoint Industrial Environmental Improvement Program
|Project Lead:||Evergreen: Your North Brooklyn Business Exchange|
|Project Partners:||Greenpoint-based businesses; and eDesign Dynamics|
|Project Terminated:||March 2018|
In 2015, through a competitive process, Evergreen: Your North Brooklyn Business Exchange received a GCEF grant for $34,260 (and provided $12,627 in matching funds) to engage a group of Greenpoint industrial businesses to research, design, and implement capital improvements that would have a visible and quantifiable benefit to the community’s environment. Goals of the project included: conducting outreach to owners of local industrial businesses to identify potential sites for improvement in Greenpoint, and conducting initial feasibility studies to identify improvements that would be cost-effective, have significant environmental benefit, and offer substantial public access opportunities. The project sought to select 2-4 business locations to receive support for design and construction of improvements, solicit construction bids for each improvement, review potential improvements, and oversee initial design and implementation.
In November 2017, the project was amended to reduce the original number of businesses to receive support for design and construction of capital improvements to one as only a single viable business partner for the project was identified through the initial feasibility analysis.
In March 2018, the project was terminated due to issues at the site chosen for capital improvements. The project team developed a concept for a removable demonstration rain garden in the courtyard of a publicly accessible building, A/D/O on Norman Avenue. However, following the development of a conceptual design, the building owners decided that the rain garden would be incompatible with the space. Before the project’s termination, GCEF allocated $34,260 to fund outreach to local businesses, perform initial feasibility analyses of potential sites, and a concept design for the A/D/O site. Based on the knowledge and experience gained through this project, Evergreen: Your North Brooklyn Business Exchange continues to conduct outreach in Greenpoint to educate industrial businesses and property owners about the benefits of green infrastructure.
- Reached out to over 650 Greenpoint-based industrial businesses through public information sessions, door to door canvassing, e-blasts, and other social media outreach about the benefits of green infrastructure implementation for industrial areas, and associated benefits for businesses and the community’s environment
- Conducted 15 initial site visits to assess potential green infrastructure implementation locations
- Conducted 9 follow-up feasibility studies with project partner eDesign Dynamics
- Inspired initial investigations into the feasibility of large-scale green roof projects at 2 separate locations
- Raised awareness within Greenpoint’s industrial community about the benefits of green infrastructure improvements to their businesses and the local environment